Tuesday, March 21, 2006

We're getting closer! Parts continue to arrive (thanks to eBay and TRF) and I'm starting to refurbish parts. The steering rack was pronounced "good to go" by Kevin Andrews of Wayne's Alignment last weekend at the TCOC tech session and new rack boots are waiting to be installed.

As Triumph Stag parts are much easier to come by in the US, I will be using suspension pieces from a Stag to add an anti-roll bar to the front of the wagon as they are apparently interchangeable with the 2000.

Triumph had an interesting way of shoehorning the larger 2500 engine into the 2000 engine compartment. They moved the mounting holes for the engine 1" to the left (since they are on angles, it actually results in a 0.6" movement) and added spacers to the right side of the engine (as seen from the driver's seat) to rotate the engine back to level. Here's a diagram that Andy drew explaining it to me:


Down below this is the move I will have to make with the mounting holes. There's really not enough material to just drill, so I'll be adding some metal as well....break out the welder!


I have to point out that the sedan/estate front suspension is much simpler and easier to work on (as long as you have a suitable spring compressor) than the TR series...at least in my opinion. It was nice being able to drop the whole thing at once...

Until next time!

Jamie

No comments: