Monday, March 06, 2006

Tranny woes!


Ok...for future reference for all you big Triumph fans out there...a Stag BW35 is not the same as a 2000 BW35. You can see the pictures here to the right, the 2000 is above the Stag. Although they look similar, the Stag input shaft is 1/4" longer and slightly larger in diameter. This means that it WON'T fit into the 2000 torque converter (I tried)...and it means that I'll be punting and looking into a manual transmission conversion. Eventually its what I would have liked to do anyway, but I really didn't need the headache now. Thankfully, there's a terrific Triumph guy named Andy Thompson in Australia who's helping me with the carbs, intake, oil pan and the other items that it takes to fit the TR6 engine. Here's a picture of "my" carbs that he posted to the Club Triumph forum:

Also, Ian Priestley in New Zealand is working on putting a package together with the overdrive and mainshaft to convert a standard TR6 tranny to work with a 2500 A-type OD unit. Finally, I hope to get the engine and transmission from my friend Brian Kelly's TVR 2500 that he's converting to a Ford V-8 unit.

So...here's hoping that "a plan comes together!"

No comments: