Sunday, February 12, 2006

Ok...Now I know more, but it just raises more questions...

OK...more information:
I received the BMIHT package on the estate, and it's only raised more questions... -- The car was built 24-Oct-1967, despatched 17-Nov-1967. -- Destination was "Personal Export Delivery for Mr J. W. Hanes, c/o Standard Triumph Eire Limited (does this mean that Mr. Hanes was just an individual in Ireland, or did he work for Triumph in Ireland?) -- under "Other Information", it states that "This vehicle was originally issued with the Coventry registration mark NHP455P"...so I guess this means that Mr. Hanes drove the car in England prior to ????

Can anyone shed any light on the above?

Finally, I've made the decision to pursue the TR6 engine option. Consequently, I need to ask Chris Witor about obtaining the following from a 2500:
1. Oil pan
2. Intake manifold, carbs, linkage, air filter housing, skinny air chamber, mounting for housing, etc.
3. I'm still thinking that the front plate, rear plate, and flex plate for the automatic will transfer.

If any of you think I need something else, please let me know.

NOW, I'm asking yet another question. Is the BW 35 from a Stag the same as the one from a 2500? I'm thinking the input shaft would be different if it were a manual tranny, but wouldn't an automatic be the same (just the two tangs on the torque converter?) If the bolt-on bell housing is different, I could use the one from the 2000. The reason I'm asking is that there's a rebuilt Stag BW35 on eBay for far less than I can get one rebuilt for...anyone's input is welcome!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Regarding the export, it is probable that Mr Hanes was either a diplomat or more likely a tourist. It was common for Americans to buy a new Triumph for a European tour then take it home again. My understanding is that the cars were usually collected in London, though. Obviously if your man wanted to start in Ireland things may have been different The mention of Standard Triumph Eire would point to delivery in Ireland. The Coventry plate is normal for an export car. There were tax savings with a car bought for export and these plates were specially issued by the factory, going through the various government departments, and I think had to be cancelled later. The registration number you have must be wrong, BTW. The letter P refers to 1975/1976. Perhaps it is actually F? This would be correct for 1967. I have an article about exports somewhere – I’ll see if I can dig it out. Cheers, Steve Bessant (Devon, UK - 2000 Mk2 nut)

Anonymous said...

Dear Jamie,

Bravo on finding the estate. I have been considering on, and had made inquiries with the Triumph 2000/2500 Register. Probably would have to find one in the Netherlands to meet the LHD requirement.

I have bought parts from all over for my Mk II. Chris Witor is the best source. He ships fast, and will do everything possible to help. The exception is for some of the weather seals for the front quarter windows. I bought those from Scott's Old Car Rubber in Australia. He is really good too.

Members of the 2000 Register have been very helpful.

very sincerely,
Stephen Oertwig

Jamie said...

Thanks for the comments, folks! I appreciate the help. Steve, I think you're right on the registration plate; it must be a typo on the form. Stephan, I sent Chris Witor a note inquiring about some parts; I'm sure I will be placing an order soon. Since we're relatively close geographically (aren't you in VA?) if you need to place an order sometime maybe we can combine to save on shipping. I'll let you know when I'm ready... :-)