Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Engine Stripdown

No pictures (yet) but some interesting items found during engine stripdown:
  • Rocker shaft, rockers, camshaft, lifters were absolutely pristine...must have been replaced
  • Timing chain has more slack than I've ever seen on a Triumph engine, tensioner worn out
  • 1 main bearing through to copper (why just one?)
  • Rod ends and rods were engraved but miss-matched (1 on 2, 2 on 1)
  • Rod bearings looked OK
  • Thrust washer in rear was HAMMERED...leads me to believe it was in a manual tranny car at some point
  • Pistons had terrible galling, but on a 45-degree angle from either axis (weird...)

So...now I'm looking eagerly at the TR6 engine, already rebult, sitting there...and going hmmm...

I've asked for help on two UK Triumph sedan sites, hopefully I will get some help before going further...

No comments: