Tuesday, May 23, 2006

39-Year Old Assembly Error Found!


Boy, I'll bet this car had some creaks and groans in the right front! As I took apart the fourth strut assembly (two from the Stag parts from Dave Crane, two from the 2000) this Sunday, I noticed that the top of the strut assembly looked a little different than the others. Apparently, some Triumph assembly line worker was a little off the mark with his placement of the rubber pad that goes between the spring and the upper spring rest.

In case you can't tell from the picture, the ring was fitted ABOVE the spring rest. It's in perfect, un-blemished condition after 39 years of being totally useless. The metal-on-metal spring to rest contact, however, left a lot of iron oxide particles...

Here's another shot with me holding the ring (to left). The stuff that looks like cotton wool is various insect nests/egg sacs....soon to be gone.
One of the things all this disassembly means is lots more parts to beadblast. Here's some of what I'll be trying to get blasted soon:
Finally, I splurged! I really didn't want to bolt that rough looking badge on the left to the rechromed bumper...so...look what I found on eBay! NOS, it even has the right badge in it, now that the TR6/2500S engine will be going in... :-)

Oh well...still searching for some more time. I did manage to drain the tranny as well; it already had a magnetic drain plug (some crud attached, but nothing to worry about) and had pretty clean oil. Next step is to get in and find out what I need to replace (besides the inevitable countershaft and cluster gear bearings...) Guess that's all for tonight. Hope to see some more comments!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet the little old lady took it to the dealer 10 times complaining about the squeak from the front end, and they never found it.

P.S. I'd be glad to help you tune that proportioning valve! Parking lot spinouts was my specialty!

Jamie said...

Mike, I totally agree! By the way...I think I drove your car about 10 years ago when it was in our club...if that's the one I'm thinking of. Should have bought it then, it would have saved me a lot of trouble now! :-)

I guarantee we'll be travelling once the 2000 (2500?) is on the road...we'll meet up somewhere. The last time I went to a show in Florida was with the Italia in 2000, to the SE VTR Regional...but I'll be back :-)

Anonymous said...

RE: 39-Year Old Error Found

Only one?
Jeff Hawkins
1970 GT6+
Jamie Hawkins
1965? Triumph 2000 Sedan

Jamie said...

Jeff & Jamie...well...only one error so far! ;-)

Of course, considering I'm putting it back together, I'm sure there will be opportunities for ME to make errors, too!